Expert Profile 1


What is important in learning?

Learning is an active or passive process of building mental models of the world through engaging and manipulating objects and experiences (Dewey, 1938; Piaget, 1964; Vygotsky, 1986). It builds on previous knowledge, experiences and worldview (Alexander, 1996, p. 89) through individual and social activities, taking into consideration the cultural background in a complex social environment (Bransford, et al., 2006; Rogoff, 1998). Members in the learning environment, are builders or constructors of knowledge (Scardamalia & Bereiter, 2006). Providing learners with the opportunity to engage with specific ideas and concepts on a need-to-know or want-to-know basis (Greeno, 2006; Kolodner, 2006) requires the motivation and cognitive engagement of the learner. I consider Learning to Learn to be important to the learning process. Since learning occurs throughout life, knowing how to learn, can make learning easier and much more fun. As a learner, learning how to learn will expose one to the different techniques, strategic approaches, and tools that exist for knowledge acquisition. I make independent decisions and choices that affect my learning. These decisions may include what I learn as well as how I learn, why I learn and how I assess my learning through periodic reflection. Learning to learn considers the role of active and passive learning, deep learning and the understanding of concepts and terms that will equip the learner to build knowledge, construct new knowledge and even advance existing knowledge.

What kind of learner am I? Explain why?

I am yet to discover what kind of learner I am. I think the kind of learner I am, changes from situation to situation taking the nature of the learning material and the purpose of learning into consideration. I used to be more of the kind that learns through reading and writing (note taking) purposely to memorize and reproduce during exams. As time went by, I came to understand that what I learn is for life and so my approach to learning changed. I learn more when things are explained in its simplest form. Depending on how difficult the material or subject matter is, my approach to learning changes. I use different materials like videos, charts, images, etc to get the simplest understanding and build on that understanding. Now I prefer to learn by doing because I want to be able to find solutions to problems around me using any means possible.

What is the role of collaboration for learning?

Collaborative learning is an educational approach to teaching and learning that involves groups of learners working together to solve a problem, complete a task, or create a product (Srinivas, 2011). Collaboration plays the role of making learning active, social, contextual, engaging, and learner-owned, geared towards deeper learning and understanding. It equips the learner with leadership, communication, social, self-management, and time management skills and the ability to understand and view situations from the perspectives of others. Collaboration stimulates critical thinking, it helps people to criticize and clarify ideas through discussion and debates. For the most part of my studies, I have been learning as an individual and sometimes cooperatively in a group. The concept of collaboration is new to me. My first exposure to working collaboratively was Future Factory at the University of Oulu where the LET team of students worked collaboratively to identify a problem and find a solution to it. The LET program is exposing me to collaborative learning. Examples of collaborative learning include team-based learning, fishbowl debate, catch up and problem-based learning. Currently, I am using the problem-based learning approach to collaborative learning as part of my LET studies. So far I am familiar with the steps involved and have been successful in applying it to solve problems with my colleagues.

What kind of collaborator am I? Explain why?

I am the kind that sees my colleague as a resource, I am willing to share knowledge and experiences, I take responsibility for my actions, and currently learning to reflect to know if I am on the right track or not. I have come to know, understand, and value the role of collaboration in many spheres of life especially learning with other people and the benefits it comes with.

What is the role of technology in learning and collaboration?

Effective communication is important for the success of collaboration and learning. Communication technologies provide the platform and channels for discussions, chats, video or audio calls, comments, and sharing of media files. Some group technologies such as Slack and Skype, enhances team communication. Collaboration technologies can be incorporated into the learning process to enhance collaborative learning with the goal of sharing knowledge. It should support how learners learn and spark the creation of ideas in learners.

Reflect and ponder how you can capitalize on the LET studies in the future in your role as an expert in learning and educational technology

The LET program has a well laid out plan to expose students to learning with special focus on collaboration and self-regulated learning. It also includes the use of technology in the learning process. The LET faculty is engaged actively in research relating to the subjects of study meaning that there is access to learn more about the current and emerging research areas. I outline how I plan to use the studies to be an expert.
● Develop a deep understanding of learning and educational theories
● Acquire knowledge on how to use technology for education and learning purposes
● Make use of as many technological devices and software as possible to expose me to existing and emerging technologies self-regulated and collaborative learning.
● Acquire digital skills
● Develop a deep understanding of how to work collaboratively with people from different cultural and social backgrounds with different perspectives from different educational backgrounds. This includes the ability to work collaboratively regardless of timezone and geographic differences.
● Develop an ability to self-regulate my learning first of all and how I can guide people to do same.
● Discover and understand how I lean the way I do and why.
● Develop the ability to co-create new knowledge while working collaboratively.
● Develop the skill to read, comprehend, analyse, criticize, and write scientific papers
● Develop an ability to conduct quality research
● Improve my ability to do both independent and group work
● Improve my social and communication skills

References

Bransford, J. D., Brown, A. L., & Cocking, R. (2000). How people learn. Washington DC: National Press Academy.
Dewey, J. (1938). Experience and Education Kappa Delta PI Lecture Series. London: Collier-Macmillan Books .
Greeno, J. (2006). Learning in Activity. In R. Sawyer, Cambridge Book of the Learning Sciences (pp. 79-96). New York: Cambridge University Press.
Kolodner. (2006). Case-based Reasoning. In R. Sawyer, Cambridge Handbook of Learning Sciences (pp.225-242). New York: Cambridge University Press.
Piaget, J. (1964). Development and Learning. Journal of Research.
Rogoff, B. (. (1990). Apprenticeship in thinking: Cognitive development in social context. New York: Oxford University Press.
Scardamalia, M., Bereiter, C. (2006). Knowledge building: Theory, pedagogy and technology. New York: Cambridge Press.
Srinivias, H. (2011). What is Collaborative Learning? Retrieved from Collaborative Learning:http://www.gdrc.org/kmgmt/c-learn/index.html 
UC Berkeley. (2017). Retrieved from Center for Teaching & Learning:https://teaching.berkeley.edu/resources/learn/what-learning
Vygotsky, L. (1986). Thought and Language. Cambridge: MIT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LET Conference 2018

Creating Learning Materials

What is SRL?